How to Turn A Car Alternator into A Generator
Are you planning to go on a camping trip on a cabin away from the noise of the city? A cheap way to make an alternative power source for your trip is by using a car alternator. How to turn a car alternator into a generator or convert car alternator to ac generator? Find out how to make a generator from a car alternator by reading the rest of this article.
Convert Your Car Alternator to a Portable Generator
A car alternator serves as an electrical power source for your vehicle. This thing is a beast in serving its purpose. And since it’s a good electric source, many people are using it to make a homemade generator.
If you want to know how to turn a car alternator into a generator, read the steps below.
- Get the car alternator and put it on top of plywood using a lag screw. A steel lag screw is a perfect tool to use when you want a more secure and tight mounting process.
- Now, get your lawnmower shaft and lay it on top of the same plywood where you mounted your car alternator. Ensure that the shaft of your lawnmower is facing the shaft of your car alternator directly.
- Take an alternator belt and place it nice and fit around a pulley for your alternator and on another pulley for the motor shaft. To ensure that the belt is tight enough, move your lawnmower in a sliding manner.
- Mount the lawnmower to the plywood by drilling some holes and by using a steel lag screw again.
- Now, it’s time for the fun part. Install a DC/AC power converter to your car alternator’s terminal.
- Install a battery or power source to your converter appliance.
- Lastly, it’s time to test your work. Turn it on and see if your newly transformed car alternator was successfully converted to a portable generator.
And that’s how to turn a car alternator into a generator.
Enjoy the Night Away
Now that you know how to turn a car alternator into a generator, you can now transform one for your trip. You can also make one for your home. Generators are expensive so if you have an alternative resource to produce your DIY (Do It Yourself) and efficient portable generator, then you can make the most out of it.
It’s always best to prepare for power shutdown, especially if you are stuck in the middle of nowhere, or you’re someone who works fulltime as a digital worker.
Learning how to turn a car alternator into a generator is easy even if you are not professionally equipped with knowledge on how to get the job done well.