How to Size A Portable Generator
As someone who plans to buy a set of a generator for your house, you must pick one with the right size. Learn more about how to size a portable generator and why you need to do it in this article.
Why You Need to Choose the Right Generator Size
A generator is a huge investment. The amount of money you pay for it is not a joke, especially if you decide to buy brand new or one from a well-known brand. And therefore, you need to invest your money on a portable generator that will be perfect for your needs. Before you learn how to size a portable generator for home use, take note of the following.
- Here are also other reasons why sizing your generator is an essential step before deciding to buy one.
- Picking the wrong size will result in poor performance.
- If you choose a portable generator with a small size for your bigger needs, the tendency is that you will push your generator beyond its maximum capacity. This would cause bigger problems - this can ruin your generator and potentially cause dangerous electrical harm to your family. Everyone's safety is particularly important to consider.
- Picking the wrong size could also lead your portable generator to overheat and will shorten its lifespan. And you don't want that to happen. Since you're shelling out big bucks, you've got to make sure that the generator you buy is worthwhile.
Scroll through the next part and learn how to size a portable generator.
Sizing Your Portable Generator
To ensure that you land on the best portable generator for your needs, here are ways on how to size a portable generator for your home.
- To arrive at the right size, take down the appliances that you need your generator to power up in case of a power interruption.
- Check the individual wattage each appliance needs (both the staring and running wattage) and add them to your list. You can find out this information on the back of each appliance or their individual user’s manual. Once you have checked everything out, you can continue to the next step.
- Add all the wattage information that you have gathered.
- The sum will help you decide what size of a portable generator fits your needs.
- Make sure that you choose one that has a 15-20% more size than what you currently need.
That’s how to size a portable generator in five simple steps. Do not risk your family’s life to a generator that could not do what you needed it to do. Always remember that the safety of everyone should always be considered. Make sure not to invest your money into a portable generator that does the job effectively.