How Much Is A Generator
Generators can give so much convenience in our lives, especially during a power interruption. But its significant advantage of owning one comes with a high cost. Here's an estimate of how much is a generator.
Expense Breakdown Of Owning A Generator
How much is a generator may vary depending on its type. Home standby generators range from $500 up to $6,000 depending on the type and size as well. Portable generators are cheaper options as it ranges from $400 up to $2,000. The Generac standby system costs $1,900 for a 7kW unit up to $5,800 for a 22kW unit. However, the cost of owning a generator doesn't end with just buying one. Other additional charges come along with it are as follows.
- Installation cost - The actual installation cost for standby generators may vary, but it may range from $500 and $3,000. You get lower cost if the generator and meters are installed on the same side of the house and higher if there are further away from each other. Installation cost may also depend on the type of standby generator and the fuel it uses. The amount of power the generator requires to produce also affects the installation cost as this is a complicated job.
- Transfer Switches - Transfer switch is used for safety purposes and costs around $300 to $1,000 depending on your generator's watt. Add another $200 to $400 for the installation labor.
- Maintenance and repair - This is another thing that you should consider as generators require regular maintenance that costs around $75 and $300. The cost gets higher if there are damaged parts that need replacement.
- Gas use - Generator consumes a lot of gas to work. It will usually cost you $30 per day on gas alone.
- Noise reduction solution - You'll have to pay for another cost if you want to do something with the noise produced by the generator. For example, if you plan on boxing the generator to reduce its noise, buying a generator silencer, or using anti-vibration pads or rubber mats.
Types of Standby Generators And Its Estimated Costs
Standby generators come in different types
- Diesel - This is considered as the more efficient compared to gas and natural gas. Diesel ranges from $3,000 to $15,000.
- Gas Generators - The price of gas generators ranges from $500 to $3,000. This is usually the common type and the most cost-effective.
- Natural Gas Generators - These generators are permanently installed outdoor and can run power to an entire house. It uses natural gas or liquid propane. Those running in natural gas can cost $1,900 to $5,000, while those that can run on liquid propane can cost $500 to $6,000.
- Solar Generators - These are the sustainable model and can save you with the gas cost. They range from $300 to $5,000.
With the estimates given above, it's obvious that owning a generator to run your whole house can be costly. If its something that you really need but don't want to spend too much, skip the full house generator and opt for the portable unit.